Stop sugars. The Low Carb method is a system that makes hunting sugars to releasethe extra pounds. A real good idea to lose weight? Decryption with Raphaël Gruman, nutritionist and diet expert.
Low Carb, zoom on a diet without sugar
What is the principle of the Low Carb Diet?
It is a sight diet plan that is to remove almost all sugars (Low Carb means low in sugar). It allows to lose weight fast without feeling hungry because the quantities of food are important. This plan is regularly used for patients with type 2 diabetes.
Is sugar really prohibited in base?
In the early stages of the scheme, sugar intake should not exceed the 20 g of sugarper day less than four lumps of sugar (the equivalent of two yogurt with fruit or twoscoops of sorbet). These sugars should come from vegetables.
20 g of sugar, it is a little less than the recommendation of the world organization health, which calls for a daily limit of 25 g of sugar.
In France, the national programme (PNNS) health nutrition recommends simply to limit its consumption of sweets (avoid sugary drinks, pastries, Viennese pastries, dessert creams, chocolates, ice cream.
In the next phases of the plan, it is planned to gradually reintegrate the sugar-containing foods to allow the body to be used gradually to carbohydrate assimilation without weight gain.
How it happens: an example of menu type
Here is a menu type for the first phase (strict) where sugar intake should be low:
Breakfast: 2 eggs + 1 slice of ham + 30 g of cheese cooked
Lunch: 200 g steak + 250 g of beans + 30 g of cheese baked
Snack: 5/6 slices of grison meat + 100 g of cucumber sticks
Dinner: 200 g grilled salmon + 200 g of cooked fennel + 1 lawyer + 30 g of cheesecooked
Subsequently, you can gradually add foods containing sugar (and fruits) in the meal.
What kind of results to expect in terms of weight loss?
Everything depends on the weight to lose initially... But generally it is hoped a quickweight loss of about 2 kg the first week, then 1 kg per week.
The benefits of the Low Carb Diet
• Rapid weight loss
• No hunger pangs
• Well-being and no fatigue
• No need to count calories
• The envy of sugar goes away after a few weeks
The disadvantages of the Low Carb Diet
• As any regime is the risk of yo-yo effect watching if Low Carb is not followed by aphase of stabilisation.
• As the consumption of meat and fat products is not controlled, excessive fat consumption are possible. However this "overdose" promotes long-term risk of cardiovascular disorders.
• This system is not suitable for everyone! It is recommended to children, adolescents, pregnant women and senior citizens who need a balanced diet.
• Athletes refrain. This method cannot agree on them because the body needs sugar to keep the effort.
• Another drawback, potentially annoying on a daily basis, this scheme can give badbreath due to the release of ketone bodies, substances produced during the melting of fat.
These drawbacks do not mean that this regime is to exclude but they are to be taken into account. If in doubt, it is advisable to seek the advice of a nutritionist or dietitian physician that will tell you if this scheme is adapted to your problem of weight and your health.
Some diet experts advise Low Carb to their patients. This is the case of Raphaël Gruman: "I happen to use it regularly to my patients for several recent studies have highlighted the good results in the long term (2 years after weight loss) on stabilizationof weight compared to other regimes such as the low calorie diet or the diet".